Just thinking on the past and remembered both my cousin and Aunt shared the same birthday the way we remembered them was Thanksgiving. their birthday was the 27 th of November so we celebrated it on Thanksgiving as it always seemed to fall around that date..probably not since this year it was the 24th but in the mind of a kid to me it seemed to fall later..the 27th. we always had Thanksgiving at our own house early then went to my Aunts where they would have another dinner that evening. We lived in Hamden, Ct then, my cousins lived in Middlebury but would come in for the day. boring for us kids , except for the food. We were food orientated back then not so much the family thing. I can remember the smells and not the turkey only as the cousins were "country people" to me the city cousin Real country people they smelled country. What does country smell like? Well they smelled like horse and horse was country to me. My Aunt and Uncle owned Rosehurst Stables in Middlebury and they lived above the barn AND everything even their car smelled horse. Most people turned up their nose me I inhaled deep.
Which brings me to wondering "Do I smell "horse"?" Do people not want to sit near me in the movie, in a restaurant? Do my neighbors smell "horse"? What about most of my TN friends do they smell "horse" or do I not notice it as we all raise horses. LOL. I guess we don't unless we just came in from the barn or loving on our babies. The other day though Jim said I smelled "horse" that was the day I wore my clogs out to feed and lost one in the "stuff". I am sure he smelled horse LMAO then.
Smells yup Turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas mixed with the smell of "horse" these are my happy smells that bring warm wonderful memories of the happy times in my life. And all those happy times had to do with these smells as the rest wasn't always happy. ( Except for raising David and that brings on more smells....baby powder, more happy memories though not the smell from his spittoon hidden in his room when he was older.)
Holidays and any days spent with the cousins especially at the stables were happy. I must have been imprinted with that smell because that smell means "Happy"
I am content here in TN with my "smells"
No comments:
Post a Comment