Monday, November 21, 2011

Bringing you up to speed during the summer Tracy, Jim and I had our horses at a friends Ranch in the hopes we would get more riding in and it just didn't work out as planned. Tracy did ok but I wasn't able to get any riding done so we brought the horses home and started looking around here for places to ride. When we did we happened to talk to our local girl at the coop and we all got together and decided to re train us and our horses and that's what we have been doing since September. I didn't start till the end of October but by then Tracy was really into it. Seeing what a difference it was making with her and her horse Major really got me going. I was already practicing Clinton Anderson's way of training but I really was not getting the respect I was looking for. I knew it was my body language that wasn't cutting it but I was kind of at a loss on what to do.
Any way about 3 weeks ago Amanda took me under her wings and started coaching me on what to do. The first day she put Lady through her paces and had her looking like she was working out in a spa. The water was pouring off of her she was giving Amanda a case of the "ass" and Amanda kept right on with her training. During the next week I decided not to do anything but let Amanda try again then I would join in...which we did and she showed me ways to improve on what I was doing and just how to read Lady's actions. I could then see how confused she was as Amanda pointed out just how Lady would move her lips and ears and also how she would ..like a kid try to have the last word. I learned just what she needed and was shocked as during the week when I worked with her she was really listening and obeying me plus she wanted to. Her whole demeanor had changed. She still tried to invade my space but now I had the tools to be aware of it and make her move away which she now did.  The next two hour lesson was a repeat and review and learning how to make her really back up. during that next week I went on my own and taught her to Who and stay put. And she did it. Was I surprised. I also found she was liking it too and really trying to do what was asked of her and most of all she was giving me respect and looking to me as her leader. She has done a 100% change a different horse all together. I am so proud of her and myself for finally getting it. Now I am no ways perfect I still have "language" problems because of my hip handicap but she and I are working through them and she is understanding that some things we might do a bit different but the result is the same. I have also noticed a softening of her face when she looks at me She doesn't ignore me all the time but will come to me for a quick rub and love and let me clean the sleep mucus out of her eyes ..no fight or flip of the head..a first for us. I can look her in the eye and make her back away from me when I want..I can send her on a lead with ease...yield front and hind quarters and flex all with ease. I can't tell you the feeling it gives me.

We have kind of started a little training club The Dry Creek Riding Club we call ourselves meeting here just about every Sunday to practice then going to Tracy and T's to use the arena for riding.

This past weekend was my first day to try "crusing" under saddle. You ride around not using the reins letting the horse go where it wants only correcting mistakes. It went fine for a bit then disaster struck for me...I need lots of work and more reading of her ways for sure.
This is how the weekend went......
"
I started out getting some kind of sinus or cold thingee last week which left me not feeling too great or on the ball and not knowing enough to quit while I was ahead I went along with our weekly horse training here at Beachnut Stables. Lady did fabulous and they told me I did great too. And that's when I should have called it a day. We all proceeded to my friends arena leading our horses where I was trying to turn Lady on the trail..getting to close to her and she slipped knocking me to the ground..getting up like a trooper I had a sore leg and what felt like a sprained left wrist. Not the giving up type I proceeded through the woods to the arena and mounted up...with lots of help. We were doing what is called cruising where you do not use your reins except for correcting and all was going smoothly except for Lady being in love with every male horse she saw. She mostly followed Cody. She then got a bit too close and I have no idea what happened. I thought she was going to break into a run as her back end dropped so I went immediately into a ready to one rein stop...but that's not what she was doing she had slipped and dropped her butt and me not holding on and completely unexpecting this went off the back end hitting the ground rather hard including my head thumping. Stupid of me I had not grabbed my helmet either but I think my pony tail cushioned my head as it hurt like hell but no concussion. Unable to lift either leg or move right arm much and a headache off and on for a few days I am coming along better today.
I am now master off quick dismount front and rear since last month when she stumbled I went over her head and now her rear. Sigh! Like I said I love small short horses since the ground though it comes up quick it isn't too far.


If I had more experience I would have had more control of my seat and it would not have happened. One thing makes me wonder though Lady being small short neck and back and me being tall and large I am wondering if this will happen all the time with me loosing balance or if I will get better at reading her andf expecting the unexpected...if there is such a thing. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment