Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Eve and New Years Day at the ranch was very quiet. We both managed to stay up till midnight..made a few snacks and had a few drinks. Sunday Jim started work on our King platform for the new mattress to be delivered this Thursday. I cooked a roast pork...bone in..loved them better than rolled roasts. I found an old recipe out of a 40 yr old New England Cookbook with recipes from Early New England..Geo Washington  era and earlier which have been converted. It called for scoring the fat and rubbing in flour and salt and pepper then basting it while it cooks with Apple Cider that had been cooked down to a syrup.  I fudged since I didn't have any cider and used Alpine Cider powdered drink, sugar brown and white and finishing it with cider vinegar. Worked great and gave it a nice crisp crust.  I think I enjoyed the crust more than the roast. LOL. Threw some potatoes quartered in for pan roasted potatoes and served with peas and apple sauce. The meal was great. After eating Jim went out to work on the bed again and I finished up taking the decorations down. When he was done he came in for a nap and I watched the Hell on Wheels marathon till about 4 PM. I then went out and fed the babies and while Lady ate I used some Cowboy Magic and untangled her mane...brushing and combing it with the new brush and comb her Aunt Tracy gave her. They were fantastic. I can see why she swore by them. Lady stalled threw her eating,,enjoying every minute. When done she followed me over to Cody and Molly and she watched me comb their manes too.

A wonderful quiet day on the Ranch.

Monday we went back to Lowes for more parts for the bed, stopped for lunch at the cafe then Jim and I took our queen bed down and cleaned all the kitty hair out from under the bed. Found at least 20 cat toys while doing it.  We ditched the box spring and set the mattress on it's side in front of my dresser while Jim put the bed together.  Chessie and Shadow fought for place on the top of the leaning mattress and watched the show.  After done we put the mattress on the platform till Thursday. I thought yesterday it didn't look to high ooops........23 inches but then add another 10-12" for the matress and you have fun trying to get up on the bed. I have to settle on a footstool to boost myself up LOL

The mud is slowly drying up in the field  LOL mud bog. I still feel so sorry for them. Lady keeps looking at me as if she is waiting for me to halter her to play, Once we get caught up around the house I'll do just that. This week is another hodge podge of chores..tomorrow being the dump and maybe a start on cleaning out my spare bed room. We are saving the bed frame which can be shrunk to a twin so I think we will put it up when we get stuff cleared out and buy a cheaper mattress or air mattress and set it up as a day bed  for company. We hope by summer we have the second floor of the barn done and figure Jim's grand kids will want to sleep up there or at least his grandson, Briggs will and Mom and Lauryen can sleep in the spare room.  If  Dave, Dawn or Dale or even Derek come they have their Fifth Wheel to use. Derek being in the Navy you never know he just might drive down and if he does he can use the spare room.

All takes time and $ which we do as we can. An on going project here on the ranch.

Ah farrier comes this Saturday AM. we are thinking of taking the shoes off for the winter and re shoeing in March or April. At least we will not have to worry about the mud pulling off a shoe.


No comments:

Post a Comment